Follow us on FACEBOOK:
Follow us on TWITTER:
Follow us on Google+
Follow us on INSTAGRAM: (alternative link - http://www.oninstagram.com/profile/wowbbq)
Follow us on PINTEREST:
Follow us on YOUTUBE:
Inspired by our friends on Facebook we’re breaking out the smoker and going for some stuffed peppers and ABT’s; smoked low and slow on the Weber Smokey Mountain 47cm using long lasting briquettes and Hickory Wood Chunks.
These are fantastic as an appetiser or side dish at a BBQ!
We’re making two versions; a mild sweet pepper and a super hot alternative using green chillies stuffed with a Birdseye Thai chillies – the ABT (creatively titled “Atomic Buffalo Turds”).
A classic ABT wouldn’t use the Thai chilli but we’re doing these extra hot for a WOWBBQ twist.
You will need the following ingredients (quantities to taste):
- Cream Cheese
- Streaky Bacon
- Smoked Sausage (optional but recommended)
- Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
- Paprika (smoked ideally)
- Cayenne (optional but recommended)
No need to add salt as there is plenty of sodium in the bacon.
- Cut your peppers/chillies lengthways and remove seeds and membrane.
- Mix together cream cheese, cheddar, hard cheese and paprika/cayenne to create the filling.
- Assemble; add smoked sausage, cheese filling and wrap in streaky bacon (for the ABT’s you can hide some sliced or whole Birdseye chillies in the cheese filling).
- Set up your smoker; we’re using a chimney starter of lit briquettes plus half a chimney of unlit briquettes and generous 3 handfuls of chunks for plenty of hickory smoke infusion. Don’t forget to fill the water bowl; use a large drip pan if you don’t have a smoker and cook indirectly on a Weber One Touch Kettle BBQ.
- Add your Peppers & Chillies; evenly spaced on both grates
- Cook low and slow for 2-3 hours