Delicious Baked Brie or Camembert with your chosen comptote or topping is a ridiculously easy dish; perfect as an appetiser or as a starter to share between two.
This recipe takes only 10-15 minutes to prepare and around 20 minutes to cook on the BBQ or in your oven - and with almost no effort this is a delicious option to keep up your sleeve for dinner parties and lazy winter nights.
You will need:
- One smallish wheel of your favourite soft cheese - Brie, Camembert, etc. Choose a young (cheaper) firm wheel as they roast better without falling apart too quickly.
- A Jar of your favourite compote - Caramelised Red Onion works really well! Pick one up from the supermarket or make your own. Try savoury combinations like sundried tomato, garlic and basil or a quick sweet option like honey or apple chutney.
- Good quality Bread for dipping - french baguette or italian ciabatta.
- Use a sharp knife and remove the top layer of rind on the top side (flattest) of the wheel. The rind needs a lot more heat to melt; taking it away encourages the soft gooey cheese to blend better with your topping.
- Place your cheese into a brie baker.
- Coat the top layer (removed of rind) generously with your chosen compote.
- Place onto your BBQ using an upside grill tray to elevate the dish from the cooking grates; Cast Iron cooking grates conduct heat extremely well - Elevation away from contact will slow down the cooking process for a more even cook - no burnt edges!). Alternatively you can do this in the middle of your oven.
The green dish on the left was prepared properly - the rind removed pre-cook. It features a gorgeous bubbling top where the cheese and compote have mingled together. With the dish on the right we did not cut off the rind - the cheese still tasted amazing of course but not quite as good as when using the correct method.
YourKitchenShop.co.uk offer FREE next day delivery to mainland UK and all Brie Bakers come in a stylish faux wood presentation box making them ideal gifts for christmas or tricky foodies!